Are Swerve And Erythritol Sweeteners Toxic To Dogs?
If you love your dog as much as I do then you would never want to do anything that might harm them. That said, you may have heard that certain sweeteners such as xylitol are very toxic to dogs. When I first heard about this it made me wonder — are the Swerve and erythritol sweeteners I use also toxic to dogs?”
Thankfully, Swerve and erythritol are not toxic to dogs in the same way that xylitol is. Don’t get me wrong, I am by no means suggesting that you feed your dog treats with erythritol. But the reality is that Swerve and erythritol products do not pose the same threat to your pets that Xylitol does.
That said, this is simply what I have gathered from my own self-study on the subject. Of course, I suggest that you keep your erythritol and foods that contain erythritol out of reach from your pets. The same way you would keep all of your other human food tucked away.
I am not a veterinarian and if your dog has eaten something that seems to be giving him or her issues or, then please reach out to a professional. I am simply a keto baker who loves his dog and wants to make sure I am cooking with the most keto and pet-friendly ingredients possible.
This is one of the many reasons I prefer baking my keto desserts with Swerve and erythritol products. If you are going to use xylitol in your keto baking and you have a furry friend, please use extra caution. Xylitol is very toxic to dogs and can be found in many store-bought foods and products.
Are Other Keto Sweeteners Like Stevia And Monk Fruit Poisonous To Dogs?
Probably the most well-known keto sweetener is stevia. Stevia has been around in many natural food stores for many years now. In addition, it has a pretty good reputation for being safe and natural for human consumption. But is it dangerous for your pet like xylitol is?
Again, you should always take every measure to keep your food out of reach from your pets. That said, stevia is not considered to be toxic to dogs the same way that xylitol is. According to this article on the ASPCA website, stevia is classified as non-toxic to dogs.
The only reason I choose not to use stevia in my recipes very often is that it is more difficult for baking. Like I said with erythritol, use stevia at your own risk. All I am saying is that from all of the research I have done stevia, does not seem to be considered dangerous to your dog in the same way that xylitol is.
There are some stevia blends that are easy to bake with but I still think Swerve is a better option. This is because Swerve measures cup for cup with table sugar. This makes it super easy to create your own keto dessert recipes.
Another very common keto sweetener is monk fruit. Though still not as popular of a keto sweetener as stevia, monk fruit has been picking up some serious steam in the keto community. However, since it has not been around for as long as stevia, there is not a strong verdict on its pet safety rating.
In my research, I have not found any evidence to suggest that monk fruit is as life-threatening to your dog as xylitol. However, this could simply be due to the fact that there is very little information to be found on this newly popular sweetener. I recommend erring on the side of caution and keeping this keto sweetener far from your fluffy friends. I hope to soon have a better answer to this question for you all, but for now, there is simply not much information to go off of.
Other Popular Keto Foods That Are Not Safe For Pets
Note that this is not a complete list of all keto foods that are not safe for dogs. These are simply some of the more common keto foods that could pose a threat to your canine bud. However, I am sure that there are many keto friendly foods that are not safe for dogs that did not make this list. That said, do you own research before feeding human foods to your pet.
Coconut oil contains oils that can upset your pet’s stomach. Though in small amounts coconut oil may not be as likely to cause serious damage, it should definitely be avoided. It can cause upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea, so make sure to keep your coconut oil and foods made with coconut oil out of reach.
Another staple to the keto diet, macadamia nuts, are not safe for your dog. According to the ASPCA website, macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and even hypothermia in dogs.
Macadamia nuts are not the only nuts that can be harmful to your dog. The oils in many other nuts can cause problems and should be avoided at all cost.
When you make your next bulletproof or butter coffee, make sure that there are not any beans that spilled on the floor. Like chocolate, coffee contains methylxanthines that are highly toxic to dogs. Some common symptoms include upset stomach, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, seizures, and can even cause death. That said, make sure your coffee and chocolate are out of reach from your pets.
Another food that often comes to mind with the keto diet is avocado. Though great for human consumption, they can be harmful to dogs and other pets. Avocados contain persin that can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
If you are like me, you will take every measure to ensure that your furry friend is safe at home. That said, it is best to know which foods are toxic to dogs and to make sure they are out of reach and stored safely. Even though Swerve, erythritol, and stevia are not considered toxic to dogs, there is still no good reason to purposefully feed them to your dog. So remember — just because a common keto food is great for you, that does not mean it is healthy for your pet.